Helping the People of Ukraine
Praying for the People of Ukraine
O God, merciful and strong, who crush wars and cast down the proud, look with mercy upon the Ukrainian people. Protect them from aggression. Grant them peace and steadfast trust in your love. Give them courage to defend. what is good, right, and holy; and provide for all their needs. Through the powerful intercession of the Mother of God, Protectress of Ukraine, and St Michael, the Archangel, Patron of Kyiv, banish violence swiftly from their midst and wipe away all tears.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Helping the People of Ukraine
1. The Church Churn will, for the foreseeable future, be turned over to fundraising for Ukraine. (Any coins or notes welcome). There is also now a button for donations on the Card Machine in Church and at cannock.mydona.com We will find a suitable charity for our donations (at present Red Cross or Aid to the Church in Need seem most suitable).
2. The White Eagle Club in Stafford (Riverway, ST16 3TH) are collecting items for Ukrainian refugees entering Poland. They are currently asking for “Energy bars, bottled water, soap, toothpaste, toiletries, plasters and medical items, Calpol, formula & baby food, non-perishable and dry food goods.” Items can be delivered to the club in Stafford any day between 7pm and 9pm. More info at facebook.com/whiteeagleclubstafford or call
Four Ways to Take Part
1. PRAY. Please use the Synod prayer below.
Adsumus, Sancte Spiritus (Prayer for the Synod) We stand before You, Holy Spirit, as we gather together in Your name. With You alone to guide us, make Yourself at home in our hearts; Teach us the way we must go and how we are to pursue it. We are weak and sinful; do not let us promote disorder. Do not let ignorance lead us down the wrong path nor partiality influence our actions. Let us find in You our unity, so that we may journey together to eternal life and not stray from the way of truth and what is right. All this we ask of You, who are at work in every place and time, in the communion of the Father and the Son, forever and ever. Amen.
2. READ. Please have a look at the Handbook which can be downloaded from here: bit.ly/32GhPyA. The key pages are 13 to 17, and in particular page 15 and page 17.
3. RESPOND. Think carefully about the questions on page 15, which are also opposite. You can send comments directly to the Archdiocese at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. MEET. On Tuesday 15th February at 7pm there will be a meeting when these questions will be discussed. This will be at St Mary & St Thomas More Church, Cannock. Parishioners of both St Mary’s, Cannock and Our Lady of Lourdes, Hednesford are invited. The meeting will be broadcast live on Facebook facebook.com/cannockcatholic/live and mcnmedia.tv/camera/st-mary-st-thomas-more and available to watch later. Those watching on facebook will be able to leave comments.